Day 9 : How to Not Forget : Part 2

This is a series within a series, if you will. From today until Sunday, I'll share some tips on how not to forget. Please feel free to share your own tips in the comments below.

Now that I am a life-long flosser, I'm making more intentional steps in being a life-long writer. Credit to many great English teachers in high school and college and a work-study position in the PR department at the university I attended, I was given opportunities to see my voice on paper and it became clear that writing was a way to clarify muddled thoughts for personal reasons, but it was also a way to powerfully communicate with others.

Despite this awareness, most of my journals are half-filled, wide-gapped accounts of my life experiences. My blog, until the first day of October looked very much the same.

I think my journals are scarce-scratched because I have a hard time writing something that has loosely-defined purpose. I know, I know it's good to look back...my kids may read them one day (ummm...maybe I'll tear out a few pages)...it's something to leave behind that may inspire someone...blah blah blah. I know this, but it's still hard for me.

Press releases, articles, research papers, speeches - these are easy things to write because they inherently come with purpose. And they come with people.

Ah, and we've found the secret-sauce for flawed motivation. People-pleasing.

Honesty ok right now? Because I'm getting ready to lay it out there.

I want people to look at what I have done and be pleased by it. I want to hear them say, "What you have done is just amazing."

Man. That is ugly truth right there.

I have forgotten that my purpose in life is not to work and toil to hear people say that I am amazing. My purpose in life is to point people to Jesus so that they may be amazed by Him.


Before this 31 day challenge, my purpose in blogging was pleasing people. People said they liked it, so I kept writing. But, as you can see by the great divides between posts, this being motivated by people-pleasing is ephemeral. The appeal quickly fades when you realize that you don't have any more smoke left to blow, nothing left to wow 'em.

So this realization in the last few days has actually defined the purpose of writing in this space.

How am I going to not forget to blog? I have to remember that I have a voice here that needs to be calling people to look to Jesus, not Jasmyn. And, y'all, let me tell you, it's a lot easier to look at Him than me.

I'll continue to write about the day-to-day challenges of making and keeping a home, but communicate to you, as I discover myself, how Jesus is intertwined in our beautiful, ugly mess.

How do we not forget? We find our purpose.

We don't forget to look at and point to Jesus - for it is there we find our rightful place and calling.

#NotForgettingThis
Can't. Forget. This.


-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

This is the ninth post in the series 31 Days of Not Forgetting.
If you'd like to read previous posts in the series, click here and scroll to the bottom. 






Comments

  1. I started my blog to get financial accountability. Here I am, nearly six months later (huge in blog years, right?) and I'm not really doing that. I got to thinking about how I could plant some seeds in the hearts of those visiting my blog - so many of them are finance bloggers and not "Christian" writers... And then I got to thinking "hey, I could get PAID to write my blog and serve God". See how it was more about me than Him? With my challenge - which is so much like yours - my eyes have been opened to things like my selfishness. Wonder where our blogs will take us next - with all the lessons we've learned?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Let me know you're here :)

Popular Posts