Day 28 : The Last Time

A night not too long ago, Judah was having a particularly difficult time going to bed. We were all frustrated. I just wanted him to go to bed. For everyone's sake.

I was perusing Pinterest in the brief moments he stayed in his bed, when I came across this poem.

{Via Pinterest}


Yes, it is completely frustrating to put your kid back in bed for the fourteenth time. But I know that one day he will just walk back to his room on his own and climb in bed without a fight, without wanting to be tucked in. It's exhausting when you have to get out of bed to insert a pacifier into a fussy baby's mouth. Every three minutes. But one day he will climb up on the countertop and open the cabinet by himself to find a pacifier. And maybe one day, just not want it at all.

The very first day that I started the 31 Days of Not Forgetting, I was in CVS with Ezra. At the check-out line, a man behind me commented about how "new" Ezra looked. He was wearing coaching gear - collared shirt, blue hat - probably just stopping in on his way home from a game. "You just forget how tiny they were. Before you know it {he tears up} they are eight and eleven and you wish that you could go back and hold them like that again. It just happens so fast." 

I don't know his story or of his relationship with his kids, but I know that he is experiencing what we are all experiencing. Time neither stops nor slows down. There will be these "last times" and I think that's why I am in this season {and perhaps it's a lifelong season} of trying to not forget these moments. 

Are there hard days, hard hours? Oh my, yes. But does it make them horrible enough to wish them away? We will never feel like we have too much time or even enough time. It goes too fast. We have what we have and I, for one, in my rose colored glasses, am bent on savoring every single day. 

I realize that I may eat my words later, but this is where I am tonight. Loving my little family - the beauty and the mess and the tears and the tantrums and the laughter and the love.


-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

This is the twenty-eighth post in the series 31 Days of Not Forgetting.
If you'd like to read previous posts in the series, click here and scroll to the bottom. 




Comments

Popular Posts