Day 30 : All or Nothing?


As hard as I am trying right now to not forget these special moments in my life, I realize that, for me, it's impossible to remember them all. Even if I could, I think it may be miserable. 


There are people in the world who do remember everything. They have a condition called hypermythesia. They are able to recall almost every day of their whole lives. They don't just remember dates and events, but they remember the raw feelings as if it just happened. They remember a date in their past like it was yesterday. The breakup with a middle school boyfriend is as painful at thirty-five as it was at thirteen. Likewise, they can recall, with the same joy, the day they graduated from college or celebrated their twenty-second birthday. 


One the few people in the world who have hypermythesia is actress Marilu Henner. She enjoys her unique autobiographical memory and shares some tips here to help everyone have stronger memories. 


I'm thankful for a little bit of forgetfulness - I've even prayed that I would forget certain things. Yes, all things in my life have shaped me into the person I am today, but that doesn't mean that I want to experience those same powerful feelings every time I recall those memories. I think I would be afraid of experiencing life, of taking risks, because I would know that I would really never forget it. 


What about you? Which would you choose, remembering everything or remembering nothing? 




Comments

Popular Posts