Day 24 : Do Not Drift Away

My husband left a sweet note for me on the counter. Our conversation about it went something like this:

"Awww I love my note. Thank you for writing this."

"Oh, you're welcome. You still haven't found the other one I wrote like three weeks ago."

"Where did you hide it? Was it somewhere that involves a doing a chore? 'Cause if it's on the vacuum cleaner or at the bottom of a laundry hamper, I'm probably not going to find it."

"No, it's somewhere you go more frequently than the vacuum cleaner. But I'm surprised you haven't found it."

I took a sidelong glance at the bulky blue leather book on the hutch - my notepad holding my place in Proverbs. Three weeks. I knew where I had not been in three weeks. 

Yes, I have read God-inspired blog posts. I've prayed, given thanks, been to church, worshipped, even thought about and quoted scripture. But my Bible has laid on that hutch - not pushing, not guilting - waiting with peace and promises held freely in its pages.

Later that night, two blog posts scrolled across my blog reader - I won't summarize, you can read them for yourself. But I'll give you three guesses as to the message...you'll only need one.

Pint-Sized Mama : I want to be that woman
The Tiny Twig : Bible Reading for the Modern Woman

After reading the two posts, I promptly made my way over to She Reads Truth and began a study through the book of Hebrews. On day two of the reading plan, I sat my Bible on top of hospital bills and grocery lists and these words rang heavy and hard in my ears.

{Hebrews 2:1-3a NASB}

The reality is that we don't just fall off a cliff into a passive, stale relationship with God. We drift away from it. As gently as laying on a pool float in the Gulf - you look up to find you have drifted from your beach chair. Further out and further down shore than you'd ever intended to be. We get caught in the current of daily demands coming from all directions and we go with it. We try to keep up. And we slowly drift away from those promises that save. 

We neglect so great a salvation. A complete, entire, pull-you-from-the-waves salvation. But we don't even look up, much less reach our hands up, to be saved. We're too busy going with the flow of our world. 

Don't forget to pay closer attention. 

Don't forget to stay in His word. 

Don't neglect His great salvation.

Do not drift away from it. 

\\\\\\\\\\//////////
#NotForgettingThis

After nap, Judah said, "I ont pay-corn and Dorge and puuuuuuuuukeeeeeeens."
(I want popcorn and George and pumpkins.)
Not forgetting toddler talk and incredible bedhead.

Daddy and our littlest. Not forgetting important conversations before bed.

Not forgetting morning hugs that did not let go. Sunshine in the window.


-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-


This is the twenty-fourth post in the series 31 Days of Not Forgetting.
If you'd like to read previous posts in the series, click here and scroll to the bottom. 




Comments

Popular Posts