Progress?

In the last four months, I've had a bazillion ideas for blog posts- all have been squashed down by this ugly giantess, who set up camp in my mind, named Progress. Progress prompted me to skip Sunday naps, to feel guilty for even thinking about catching up on Grey's Anatomy, to forgo that phone call or visit to family or friend...all in the name of Progress.

You are earning your Master's Degree...can you really afford to not focus on this last leg of the race?
Are you willing to relinquish that perfection of a grade?

The twenty.one students in your class don't need an update on primetime TV- they need guidance and a love.for.learning in this video.gamed out world. They don't need you to read the Bible...they need you to finish Stuart Little, so that you can teach your fantasy unit. Do you want to let them down?
Do you want the world to fall apart because you couldn't take a little bit more time to plan engaging lessons?


I. Give. In.

Thought so...

And the giantess, Progress, who looks so familiar and yet so grotesque, settles down as I submit.

These last few months are proof to this giving in. My lesson plans are always complete, well-designed, and well-received. My grades reflect the hard night hours I spend perfecting the paper or project. The meals are delicious, sometimes even fancy, and the laundry is...well usually, clean, folded and put away.

That's Progress, right? I mean, I didn't go to grad school to be an average student. I didn't start teaching to be an average teacher. I didn't get married to be an average wife. Average, for me, is worse than a death sentence. It means that somehow I have failed everyone and at everything. When I don't live up to the 'perfection' that I hold myself to, I feel too ashamed to show my under-acheiving face to the world.

I've had a hard time conquering Progress- she has shrouded herself with success and betterment. But a stirring discontent in my soul encouraged me to pull a thread and unravel her cloak. Unsurprisingly, I found that what I had christened "Progress" was simply Vanity and Pride. I saw that what I was doing in the name of Progress was really being done in the name of ME.

Love and Wisdom came to the rescue.

You are demonstrating more Love to those kids by spending time in the Word- even though you may never explicitly teach from it...your attitude reveals the Living Word in ways you'll never know.

On May 6, you'll receive your diploma...4.0 or not...and it will show that you are dedicated to a life of learning.

Write, my daughter...it is good for you and good for others.

I have given this day for R E S T. Do it.

Enjoy the living, for it is a vapor- live for serving the Lord of Love...others will be served by this.



There is peace settling over my world.

I. Give. In.

Comments

  1. love reading what you write and hearing about your life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Let me know you're here :)

Popular Posts