According to Plan

The Husband put it oh-so-eloquently, "You make plans because you think your way is the only way to get something done. When it doesn't happen the way you planned, you get all bent out of shape...because you're not in control." It's quite a bitter pill to take. But it is absolutely true.

Back in February, after meeting with our accountant, The Husband comes home and announces, "I think we need to buy a house." Because of the tax credit and the amount of money that we are currently paying in rent, it made complete sense- though it was a teeny-sad reminder that no-time-soon would we be moving back to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains from whence we both hale. After looking at 30something houses in the Triad area (that means Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) we settled on the first one that I picked out on the internet:) It's a cute little 3 bed/2 bath ranch on 3/4 acre lot with a creek (and bridge) and lots of tall trees (also a prerequisite of mine...neighborhoods with only a few token Bradford Pear trees depress me). We closed on the house on June 14 (a wonderful birthday present).

The PLAN since June, was to work diligently to remodel/renovate our house by our apartment lease end-date of August 31. We have encountered many snags since June 14. Just to name a few (Oh, and did I mention that we are doing the renovations ourselves?)

-Popcorn ceiling removal=nightmare (but we now have beautiful, flat ceilings)

-Odd electrical choices made by former residents
-Missing sheet rock behind kitchen countertop backsplash

-A beat-up brick fireplace that refuses to be wrapped with sheetrock
-A lovely layer of wood paneling behind the sheet rock in the living room- makes for interesting patch jobs
-Four counter-tops from IKEA, all of which had to be returned (twice) due to being dented upon pick-up


On that note, I have never, not once, wanted to cry at IKEA, unless out of sheer happiness, until yesterday. When the girl at the returns desk told me (after returning countertops twice that day) that they had no more countertops in stock and did not know when they would receive the next shipment, tears welled up in my eyes.





I am one of those people who look for parallels and common threads in life. I hear people talk about how marriage/kids/music/teaching/fishing/etc has helped them understand more about God and His love and ways with us. For me, this House to Home project is teaching me about God and how He wants to change and rebuild us from the inside out. This blog is simply a place for me to reflect on that.

At various points during the process of House to Home, I have had glimpses (ok, maybe more like good, long hard looks) of my selfish nature and stubbornness mirrored in ugly floors that refuse to come up or several layers of out-dated, faded wallpaper and paint that rebuff all efforts of a smooth paint job. I become frustrated with bumpy paint jobs, but the uneven layers of prayer, scripture reading, and reflection in the house of my heart go unnoticed. Then, as I try to put on a new layer of patience or gentleness, the application is jagged and then slowly peels off over time. Or like the unattractive, yellowing hardwood that vehemently clung to the subfloor- so do those sins of selfish ambition and pride. They say, "We are valuable! Sure, not everyone likes us, but we can get you places and things...support you on your rise to the top. If you take us out, you will be so vulnerable...standing on nothing but particle board faith."

But like the paint had to be sanded smooth and the floors were eventually all ripped out and tossed unceremoniously into the Bagster, with dedicated attention, so too will the jagged prayer life become more seamless and the sinful nature, piece by piece, ripped from the soul.
Sometimes I think I know the plans- they usually make perfect sense and I see no need for them to veer off the plan path. You would think that when looking back over my life, I would see how when my plans don't work out, infinitely better results ensue. The Husband, my job as a teacher (and student), our church, where we live, and countless other perfect gifts in my life are all the results of my plans not going according to plan. We have so many reminders of God's unfathomably greater plans in scripture...

...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

...Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

... "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways
,"
declares the LORD.
"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts
." Isaiah 55:8-9

So as of yesterday, not according to plan, we have decided to stay in our apartment for one more month...

********

I am currently putting pictures of the house into a Mixbook. When it's ready, I'll post the link.

I hope you enjoy project House to Home...

********

Oh, and because I love food and love to cook, I'll share a bit of what I am eating on my blogging days...

Here's Chicken Tacos with Zucchini, Tomato and Spinach...aka Lunch!


1 lb. of rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 large zucchini (or yellow squash), diced
1 med. onion, chopped

Saute onion and zucchini in skillet w/ EVOO. When onions are cooked to your liking, add chicken. Add taco seasoning and follow instructions for use. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Serve on soft tortillas (LOVE spinach tortillas) and add spinach/lettuce, tomatoes, and whatever other taco fixin' you love!

Comments

  1. Wow. Great analogy. I resemble all of that much more than I care to admit!!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

So glad you stopped by! Let me know you're here :)

Popular Posts